Tuesday, 18 March 2025

SOLDIERS HOLD FUBARA AND HIS FAMILY HOSTAGE AT RIVERS GOVERNOR'S RESIDENCE

Attempts by HE Sir Siminalayi Fubara and his family to pack their belongings out of the Government House have been rebuffed by the soldiers, who suppressed all movements around the premises.

Governor Siminalayi Fubara and his family members are being held hostage at the Government House, Port-Harcourt, by a contingent of heavily armed soldiers Tuesday night, Peoples Gazette has learnt.

The development comes moments after President Bola Tinubu invoked Section 180 of the Nigerian Constitution to proclaim a state of emergency in Rivers. The Nigerian leader based his controversial move on a prolonged and rapidly escalating political feud led by state lawmakers loyal to Nyesom Wike, who commenced impeachment proceedings against Mr Fubara last week to settle scores in his fallout with Mr Wike, who engineered Mr Fubara’s election in 2023 despite corruption charges.

Rivers government sources told The Gazette that soldiers carrying out the president’s instructions on declaring the state of emergency barricaded all entrances and exits to the government house immediately after the president’s speech.

Attempts by Mr Fubara and his family to pack their belongings out of the Government House have been rebuffed by the soldiers, who suppressed all movements around the premises.

“We are being held hostage,” an affected official told The Gazette from the scene on Tuesday night. “They said they don’t have instruction to let anyone leave the premises.”

It was unclear whether the soldiers implemented their duties as instructed or were overzealous in following specific orders.

Spokespersons for the Nigerian Army and Defence Headquarters did not immediately return requests seeking comments about the soldiers’ treatment of the Fubaras.

Mr Tinubu’s declaration to suspend the feuding parties from office for six months, effective Tuesday,  sparked furious debates across social media as netizens argued whether the president had constitutional grounds to suspend an elected governor whom the state lawmakers have not yet impeached. Efforts to impeach Mr Fubara began on Monday, barely 24 hours before Mr Tinubu imposed an emergency ordinance. 

Lawyers like Inibehe Effiong and Folarin ‘Falz’ Falana have excoriated the president for taking the law into his own hands without regard for the Constitution’s position.

The president named the retired chief of naval staff, Ibok-Ete Ekwe Ibas, as the military administrator in Rivers in the interim.

Sunday, 17 November 2024

NIGERIA NEEDS 11.6M TOILETS TO MEET ODF TARGET – MINISTER UTSEV

   Prof. Joseph Utsev
    Hon. Minister of Water Resources  and Sanitation.

Nigeria needs an additional 11.6 million toilets to meet its 2030 Open Defecation Free (ODF) target, says Prof. Joseph Utsev, Minister of Water Resources and Sanitation.

Prof. Utsev, speaking with newsmen on Friday in Abuja, noted that achieving ODF status involved more than building toilets. He said that while huge progress had been made, ensuring access to and proper use of these facilities remained a crucial challenge.

“The challenge is not only the number of toilets available but also raising awareness and encouraging their consistent use. This is why we are elevating the campaign to a higher level. The Vice President will lead the relaunch of our strategy in a more impactful way,” he said.

Utsev, however, admitted funding challenges, saying that while the initiative required an annual budget of N10 billion, only N5 billion had been released so far. He stated that development partners like UNICEF had made significant contributions by providing toilet facilities, training, and awareness campaigns.

“Our partners do not provide funds directly but support through the supply of toilets and training programmes, their efforts have been invaluable in driving this campaign forward,” he said.

The minister also thanked President Bola Tinubu for his commitment to achieving ODF status in Nigeria. He said since the launch of the campaign in 2019, 135 local government areas and over 30,000 communities had achieved ODF status, with more areas undergoing verification.

According to him, despite these achievements, the road to universal sanitation remains long, especially in underserved and vulnerable communities.

“Ending open defecation is about more than toilets, it’s about improving health, boosting productivity, and enhancing the dignity and safety of our citizens,” the minister emphasised.
Utsev called on the media, private sector, and local communities to join the effort to raise awareness and ensure behavioural change at all levels. He, however, urged renewed and collective action to achieve a cleaner and healthier Nigeria.

“The campaign remains a critical component of Nigeria’s efforts to improve sanitation and public health, with the 2025 ODF target in sight but requiring sustained momentum to achieve,” he said.

On strategic advocacy efforts, the minister said the ‘Clean Nigeria: Use the Toilet Campaign’ strategy will be relaunched on Nov. 19, coinciding with the World Toilet Day.

“Vice President Kashim Shettima will lead the event, which aims to strengthen collaboration among state governors, community leaders, civil society organisations, and development partners. We are calling on governors, community leaders, and partners to actively participate in this campaign,” he said.

The event is part of activities marking the 2024 World Toilet Day with the theme: ‘Sanitation for Peace,’ which underscores the significance of toilets as symbols of safety, dignity, and development.

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *